In a variety of biryani recipes, chicken tikka biryani brings a different and unique taste when you marinate the chicken in biryani masala and prepare chicken curry by roasting or shallow frying the chicken. (You can also bake the chicken in the oven). Then make layering of boiled steamy rice with chicken curry and roasted chicken. Steaming with ignited coal smoke gives it a perfect flavor and makes it special and unique biryani for foodies.
- Preparation of Biryani Masala
Garam Masala – 2 Tsp, Red Chilli – 1 Tsp, Garlic Powder – ½ Tsp, Ginger Powder – ½ Tsp, Cumin Powder – ½ Tsp, Salt – ½ Tsp, Black Salt – ⅓ Tsp, Mango Powder (Amchur) – ⅓ Tsp
- Chicken Tikka Marination:
Chicken Tikka Pieces – 3, Yogurt – 1 Cup, Biryani Masala 1 Tbsp
Mix all the ingredients and marinate the chicken for 30 minutes.
- Chicken Tikka Curry:
Oil – 1 Tbsp, Grated Ginger garlic – 2 Tsp, Chicken marination paste Tomatoes (peeled) – 1 Cup, Brown Onion – 1 Tbsp
- Preparation of Rice:
Rice – 2 Cups, Whole Garam Masala, Cumin seeds: ½ Tsp, Cinnamon: 3″, Fresh Coriander, Fennel Seeds: ½ Tsp, Bay leaves 3
- Biryani Layering
Fresh Lemon Juice – 1 Tsp
Yellow Food Color (Saffron color mixed with milk) – 1 Tbsp
Ignited Coal for Smoke
HOW TO MAKE STEP BY STEP
- In a bowl, add homemade garam masala, then add red chilli powder, garlic, ginger and cumin powder along with salt, black salt and mango powder (locally famous as Amchor powder).
- Give it a good mix.
Marinate the Chicken:
- Mark the Chicken tikka pieces
- In a bowl, add yogurt and biryani masala.
- Mix it well to make homogenous in texture.
- Now marinate chicken pieces for 30 minutes (minimum). Overnight marination can make the chicken delicious.
Roasting / Pan frying the Chicken
- In a pan, add oil and heat it up.
- Roast or shallow fry the chicken until it get golden from all sides.
- Cover the pan for 15 to 20 minutes to roast the chicken from inside.
- Take the chicken out from oil and use the same pan to make curry.
Preparation of Curry:
- In a same pan of roasted chicken, add grated ginger garlic paste and saute for few minutes until it get aromatic and start changing it’s color.
- Now add chicken marination paste and cook until it makes a perfect curry texture and release oil.
- Then add tomato cubes. Cover for 5 minutes to soften the tomatoes and mix it well with curry to make it smooth and blended with curry.
- Crushed the cripy brown onion with hands. (Don’t make the paste)
- Add crushed brown onion in curry and mix it well.
- Pour water and mix well again.
- Cover for 10 to 15 minutes to make well cooked curry.
- Soak the basmati rice for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Boil water in big pan and add whole garam masala (Cumin seeds: ½ Tsp, Cinnamon: 3″, Fresh Coriander, Fennel Seeds: ½ Tsp, Bay leaves 3)
- Drain the water of soaked rice.
- Add in hot boiling water.
- Now add salt
- Gently mix.
- Cover for 3 minutes on high heat.
- Cook the rice 80% rest will be done on steaming
- Drain rice water using stainer.
Layering & Steaming
- In a curry pan, add boiled rice layer.
- Evenly squeeze fresh lemon on rice layer.
- Now make a mixture of milk and yellow food color (Saffron).
- Pour on all sides of rice. Evenly spread with spoon only at the first layer of rice.
- Now sprinkle brown onion and fresh coriander.
- Place the roasted chicken tikka pieces at top.
- In the middle, place the ignited coal on aluminium foil.
- Drizzle little oil on ignited coal to make it smoky.
- Cover the pan for 20 minutes on low/medium heat to make it steamy.
- After 20 minutes, remove the coal and mix the biryani.
Tasty and delicious “Chicken Tikka Biryani” is ready to serve.
This recipe first appeared in Hincooking.com. Click here to go to the original